8.06.2014

Kerrs Go Camping

Family vacation!  Steve took me to some of his favorite places in southern Missouri when we were in college.  He couldn't wait to share them with the girls, too.  The girls love being outside and we thought it would be a great time to do a family nature vacation.

We started it off spending the night with Steve's sister's family.  Nothing beats some cousin time.  Olive insisted on standing on a chair.  I think she's tired of being short.

After lunch and naps we made an impromptu stop at Dillard Mill.  

The girls saw crayfish for the first time.


Apparently this is Olive's favorite pose now.







Our campsite was awesome because it was right next to the bathrooms and a playground.  It was not awesome because it was also right next to a crying baby and a live band that played until 11:00pm.  It was the girls' first time camping (besides our backyard).

morning nap after staying up past 11:00!



Hannah got a butterfly to land on her finger

 First time on a school bus!  Riding a horse and a school bus were Hannah's life goals at age two.  I told her she needs to make some new ones now.

First time canoeing.  Both girls did great!  Olive HATES life jackets, but didn't complain at all this time.  Hannah was excited to oar, but soon gave it back to me.  The water was very shallow so they could see the bottom most of the time.  We stopped a lot to play in the river.

Picnic on the river

goofing off with my life jacket

goofing off with sunglasses she found in the river

Hannah's favorite thing was floating in her life jacket
 

Olive tried it...and did NOT love it.

We found a cave on the river and of course Steve and Hannah had to scale this almost vertical climb to explore it.  Olive and I opted to stay in the canoe.

Frisbee at the campsite




Taum Sauk: tallest mountain (and girls) in Missouri






Olive was more interested in the playground at Elephant Rocks.  She is becoming such a brave climber!

Meramec State Park  This tree cracks me up.





the spring

Some released fish swim up this waterfall and make it to the spring.  Amazing.  I fed them as a reward. 

Both girls said their favorite part of the vacation was seeing Ainslyn.  But when I asked for the second favorite part Hannah said the shut-ins and floating in the river and Olive said, "looking down."  After further questioning, I think this was looking out at the hills on Taum Sauk.  Steve and I liked canoeing and the fish at Meramec.

No comments: