12.04.2008

Aunt Peggy's Holiday Survey

Steve's Aunt Peggy sent us a holiday survey that looked like fun. I made Steve do it in hopes of getting in the holiday spirit and finding out some more about his Christmas memories. As you'll see, he doesn't have many. It was a lost cause.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate for both of us.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or sit them under the tree?
S- It was about 50/50. Santa did a little of both.
M- Mom always said Santa doesn’t have time to wrap. You know, he travels all over the world. I think he has enough on his plate.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? white

4. Do you hang mistletoe? no

5. When do you put your decorations up? As soon as we can after Thanksgiving. Usually it doesn't happen until the first weekend in December.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding desserts?)
S- Turkey
M- Lasagna? Oops. That's not a holiday dish. Yeah, I don't really love traditional holiday food. Turkey is okay I guess.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
S- Drinking extra water Christmas Eve to make myself wake up in the middle of the night and sneak peaks.
M- Justin always woke up first. He would wake up the rest of the family. We'd wait at the top of the stairs until everyone was ready. Then we'd all go in the living room at the same time.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
S- I don't remember.
M- I was probably in third or fourth grade. We were in the car when I asked my mom point blank. She told me and I was crushed. But then I remembered that at least the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny were real and I said something about that. More bad news.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
S- I don't remember.
M- Yes. Usually it is a gag gift.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? We have our old ornaments from when we were little plus new ones that kids have given me. This year I bought some new blue and silver ornaments. There are disco balls. :)

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
S- Not a fan.
M- Love it. I remember not letting Justin and Marissa play in the snow in the front yard because I wanted to keep it perfect. Some might call me a perfectionist.... But seriously. How can you not love snow? It's beautiful.

12. Can you ice skate?
S- I tried it once. Not a fan.
M- Not very well, but it was fun.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
S- The Atari was really good. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
M- One year it was a She-Ra sleeping bag. One time a pink and purple ten-speed bike. One time a stereo.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
S- Fudge.
M- Being around my immediate family and playing lots of board games. Seeing extended family that I don't usually see.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
S- The aforementioned fudge.
M- Scotcheroos that Grandpa makes.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
S- Are you kidding me? Can this go on any longer? Oh, I do have one. Beating Charlie at chess.
M- Going to the Christmas Eve service at the church I grew up in and singing Silent Night. Also, it's a new tradition, but the white elephant exchange with the Meneelys/Schads is very fun. I have some really good presents for Uncle Dennis this year. :)

17. What tops your tree? Silver star. Our first Christmas together it was a star made of tin foil.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
S- Giving. Don't give me any gifts, thanks.
M- Giving. Especially to kids.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
S- That one with the drums that's not Little Drummer Boy.
M- Silent Night, but White Christmas is a close second. And all the songs off the Mixed Nuts soundtrack are Meneely favorites.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
S- Fudge.
M- Mostly yuck unless they are the new flavored kind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Make Microwave Fudge
1/2 cup cocoa
1 lb or 4 cups of powdered sugar sifted
1/4 lb margarine
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
Mix cocoa and powdered sugar together in glass microwave dish with lid. Slice margarine on top of mixture.
Pour on 1/4 cup milk, but do not mix.
Cover and cook in microwave for 2 minutes at full power.
Add vanilla and nuts and mix well.
Pour into greased 8" square dish.
Chill for 1 hour and Enjoy!!!