1.27.2009

2009 Tour of Missouri

You should be excited.

This year the Tour of Missouri will be September 7-13.
This year it will be starting in STL and FINISHING in KC!
This year Chillicothe will host the start of a stage!

Also, Sedalia will host what will most likely be the kingmaker stage, the individual time trial. The first two editions put the TT in Branson.

This is fantastic news for me because for just one day's vacation cost I should easily be able to watch the TT, Chillicothe to STJ and the KC stages! This is because the tour runs Mon-Sun so always before I had to take off work to watch the race in KC and then travel to STL if I wanted to see the finish. Now I can just take off Friday to see the best stage (TT) then head up to Chilli for Saturday's start and back to KC on Sunday to see the finish. Fantastic.

Having a race like this in Missouri is tough to describe to non-cycling-fans. Last year the current best sprinter in the world was there. Two years ago I made it to the start and was close enough to spit on some of the best racers in the world, including a former Tour de France winner. For someone that follows cycling, going to a semi-major stage race like this one is like going to an NFL playoff game except that it only costs time and gas to get there and you get to sit in the front row.

So I'm pretty stoked.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm glad you get to see the stages you want! I agree, it is pretty cool. We got to take pictures for work when they came through Columbia. You should train for it, and then we could come watch you ride!