6.26.2010

Mexico!


June 8-13 was our vacation to Cancun with the McGuires.  It was the longest time we had ever been away from Hannah, and I was worried she might have a really hard time and turn out with some abandonment issues later in life (sometimes I worry too much).  Steve's mom and my parents each spent three nights at our house, so Hannah did all of her normal activities and never missed a beat on her schedule.  She had a great time with her grandparents and didn't seem to miss us much at all.  Whew!  I won't have to worry about paying a therapist for those abandonment issues.   

We stayed at a resort north of Cancun.  It was our first all-inclusive and we didn't know if we would like a sit-on-the-beach vacation since we usually do a lot of sight-seeing.  We found out it is definitely nice to have a relaxing vacation now that we are parents.  We did do some sight-seeing one day to see the Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza and Ek Balam.  Chichen Itza is one of the New Seven Wonders of the World.  I was disappointed that people are no longer allowed to climb it after some tourists died.  Luckily we were able to climb "the Acropolis": the largest ruin at Ek Balam.  Those stairs are beyond steep.  Going up was okay, but I had to go down scooting on my bottom.  It was a very hot and sweaty day.  We got some great pictures, though!

Acropolis at Ek Balam

El Castillo at Chichen Itza


ball court at Chichen Itza


We cooled off by swimming in a cenote.  The Yucatan Penninsula doesn't have above-ground rivers.  Instead they are all underground.  Cenotes are sinkholes.  Since it was the only access to fresh water, Mayan cities were always built by a cenote.  They also thought they were gateways to the afterlife and sometimes even did human sacrifices in them.  Although not in this one.  I don't think.  This picture is taken at ground level looking down.  The guys and Jane walked up the steps to jump in.  I was not so brave.


Our favorite things to do at the resort were swim in the lazy river or sail catamaran "Hobie Cats".  I also enjoyed the nightly resort entertainment, but somehow no one else shared my enthusiasm.  I couldn't even get them to watch the Micheal Jackson impersonator sing Billie Jean and do the Moonwalk!

For our anniversary (6 years...go us!), we went parasailing.



If are really interested (or just bored), check out the full photo album.

2 comments:

Amanda and Jason said...

I must admit I was a little worried because a sit-and-stay vacation is not my style, but you guys actually did a lot, too. I LOVE your photos in the album. They look just like postcards!

Jane said...

Yes! It is up! Way more information than ours, but I like it more. No pictures of Troy and Carmen?