2.20.2013

Arkansas

For Valentine's Weekend, Steve arranged for Grandma and Grandpa to babysit the girls and we took a road trip to Arkansas.  It reminded me of our college days driving around south Missouri and stopping at random things.  The trip was a good mix of both of us- art galleries and museums for me, being outside and hiking for Steve.  

We drove to Eureka Springs Friday night. I think it's always fun to discover a new place.  It was a quaint little town- lots of narrow streets (with no parking!), old buildings, little shops and galleries, and lots of natural springs.  We ate lunch on the balcony of the big building on the left with the green awning.


 
 

a natural spring in the side of the hill
 
We also stopped by the largest Jesus statue in North America- Christ of the Ozarks.  Quote from Steve: "His hair looks like hands."  I'm sure that is deep somehow.
 
 
 We stayed in Fayetteville Saturday night and then drove on to Devil's Den State Park.  I'm just realizing the humor of this as I type it. :)  It was actually a pretty nice day for February- almost 60 degrees.  We did two different hiking trails that took most the of day.
 
 
 
On our way back on Sunday I made Steve stop in Bentonville to see the Crystal Bridges Museum.  It displays American art from colonial times to the present.  The architecture and landscape is amazing...and it's free!  I think it would be especially beautiful in the spring.
 

They have a Roxy Paine "dendroid" sculpture like we do at the Nelson-Atkins in Kansas City.
 
A trip to Bentonville wouldn't be complete without seeing the very first Wal-Mart (before it was Wal-Mart). 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks way better than Chicago.