11.02.2008

Halloween Weekend




Halloween being on a Friday is pretty awesome for teachers. We had the party at the end of the day and then sent them on their way. Before the party we have a school wide parade through the classrooms and then outside the school for all the parents. The teachers walk in it, too. I feel like I'm walking the red carpet with everyone staring at me. And as weird as I feel about everyone looking at me, it's even weirder when I'm dressed as a kangaroo. The parents all thought it was cute, though, that I had a little joey. The kids didn't get the joke as much. They just thought I dressed as a kangaroo because we're studying Australia.

So since it was our last Halloween without any kids and we never get an trick-or-treaters anyway because we live on a busy street, we decided to go out and do something fun. We got tickets to the Lion King (click on the words to see video highlights of the show) at the Music Hall. We were able to get seats in the fifth row right up front because who else goes to a play on Halloween night? The puppets were amazing! We would definitely recommend it to everyone. Steve's favorite character was Rafiki. We didn't even remember the character at first because it has been so long since we've watched the movie. I liked all the animal puppets during the Circle of Life scene at the beginning and the end. There were people on stilts to make giraffes and they also made a life-size elephant.

Saturday Steve went to a bachelor party for a UMR alumni runner who lives in Kansas City now. It was an all day event that included paintball. He was really looking forward to that. He used to play in high school and still has his own gun. While the guys were shooting each other, Sarah and I decided to take a walk and go to The Secret Life of Bees. We had a very memorable experience. First of all, two pregnant girls watching a movie where somebody dies is not a pretty sight. I was crying at even the happy parts. To add to the ambiance, we could hear a rock band playing outside the theater, a baby crying behind us, and the man beside us talking loudly to the screen. But the best part was the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate the theater! After waiting about 15 minutes they finally turned off the flashing lights and started the movie. Then the fire alarm went off again! At least we got free tickets out of the ordeal and I still enjoyed the movie.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Steve didn't dress up for Halloween, but he did shave his hair into a mohawk. He threatens to do this periodically, and this time he actually did it. He promised me it will be gone by Monday.

No comments: