11.16.2008

I'll be your Best Man for the evening.

I've been worried about this weekend for a long time. One of my best friends from college, Dan Bailey, married Wendy Moore, another great friend from college. I had the honor of acting as Best Man. It was a job I knew years ago I wasn't prepared for so I've been dreading it for years. If you knew me before you wouldn't even recognize me now.. I'm way less tense. I think the problem is that, to me, Dan is the quintessential Best Man. (By the way, I'm capitalizing Best Man because I think it totally deserves it). Anyway, I think people that make good Maids of Honor/Best Men are inherently hard to work for. I knew before I even got the position that pretty much the whole time I'd think about how Dan could probably do this better. Lucky for me, I think I did a passable job and unrelatedly, the Wedding was one of the best I've been to.

Highlights of the weekend:
  • McGuires/Vroomans/Kerrs. Awesome when separate, 10 x Awesomer than Awesome when together. The McGuires rolled into town Friday night (kidless) and stayed with us. We all caught up with the Vroomans on Saturday for the wedding. The Vroomans finally paid up on that bet we had about who would be "with child" first.
  • Sawzall. Dan presented me with probably the best groomsman gift I've ever seen, a milwaukee sawzall. I've needed one for awhile but put it off. This last summer when Dan moved to Brookside we went garage-saling and found some saws. We each bought one. Neither one worked. I've had them in the basement trying to make one working frankensaw out of the two unworking ones.. but I hit some snags and hadn't been able to finish the job yet. It was an amazing gift and I needed it so bad that I had all but broke down and bought one just last week to help out with the bathroom remodel. Timely AND awesome.
  • Pirates. This is a little-known fact to my family I think, but Dan and I rocked out pirate-style all through college. When we went on the annual runner float trips we flew the "Jolly Walken" high (sorry, no pic - just imagine the skull and bones but with a walken face where the skull would be - way scarier) and threw cannonballs (bowling ball on rope for retrieval) out of our ship/canoe. The entire day was in pirate-talk. Wendy was cool enough to have a rehearsal dinner pirate ship cake and allow an 11' tall inflatable pirate santa (a gift from a couple of the runners) to be inflated at the reception.
  • Dan busting his face 1hr before the wedding. Yeah. Slick shoes, bad walking, slick parking lot. It was bleeding. We had to get his mom to come down and work some make-up magic. In the end you couldn't even tell but it made for some awesome pictures and a great story. Plus after a couple touch-ups his step-dad busted out the line, "I think he's starting to like it!"
  • Sheep. Sunday we ran errands. One of them was getting a gift for my niece, Ainslyn. It's her 1'st birthday this coming week. Megan and I went to US Toy to pick something out. They have great stuff there that's really unique. I was pretty overly-excited about this sheep puppet that looks like a stuffed animal but is also a puppet and Megan said we should get a sheep book too. I'm pretty sure I'm more excited about it than Ainslyn will be. Anyway, if you see her this week, don't tell her what we got her.

So tomorrow is the big day when we find out what kind of baby we got. I've seen the polls. I know that tomorrow evening about half of us are going to be disappointed. All I can say is that no matter who wins, Megan and I will do our best, going forward, to work for the good of our Family. Boy... Girl... I say it doesn't matter. We're all Kerrs here in this house.

Too cheesy? Yeah, I know.. that's why Megan doesn't let me write these much. -Steve




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You got Ainslyn her first sweater puppets!