3.24.2014

Tales of a Reluctant Soccer Mom

 Part of Hannah's birthday present from us was signing her up for soccer and getting her gear.  She has been SUPER excited about it.  She wears her soccer shin guards, shoes, and socks around the house all the time and she actually cried when one of her practices got rained-out.  I love seeing her so excited, but I didn't realize I was signing us up for practice every Wednesday and games every Saturday for the next two months.  Sigh.

And it just so happened that her first soccer game was on the day of her party.  It was big day!  Grandma, Grandpa, Granny, Papa, Ainslyn, and Gwendolyn were also there to cheer her on.  She is on a co-ed team that played a boys team....and they got crushed.  I think it was 0-3.  But Hannah didn't mind.  She had a great time, and I thought she was an especially good goalie.  Although, I know nothing about soccer...I have never played or even watched it on TV.  I am a very non-sports person. Yet somehow, Steve thought I should coach Hannah's team because I know "how to work with kids."  Yes, but it seems like I also should know something about soccer.  :)

Steve, of course, is very athletic and into "sportsing".  It was amusing to watch him walk around the field cheering them on during the game (not in an over-bearing way, just very supportive and into the game).  He practices soccer drills with her in the backyard.  I love watching their father-daughter athletic bond...while I am happily sitting in a chair on the sidelines.





I took this before one of her practices.  I love this picture.  She looks so grown-up.


No comments: