While Hannah has been kicking around a ball in the backyard since she was three, Olive has never shown any interest in soccer (or any other sport.) In fact, she usually flat out refused to play with us in family soccer games. I got an email about a kindergarten soccer team forming so I asked Olive about it, fully expecting to hear "NO." Instead she surprised me with "okay, sure." And that's how I ended up with two girls in soccer at the same time, which meant two practices during the week and two games every weekend for two months.
Olive turned out to be great soccer player! Her natural aggressiveness really gave her an edge. Her favorite position was defender. All the girls would be running down the field at her and she would stand her ground with a mean look on her face ready to kick the ball. She was also good at being a goalie because she wasn't afraid to jump in and grab the ball. And she had to grab it a lot. Her team never won a game. But their growth was amazing! They went from losing about 0-20 in their first game to tying the last two games. And most of the last game they were ahead with lots of shots on goal! I was screaming and nervous like I was watching a championship match. I really wanted them to win. But the kids didn't really care. They never talked about winning or losing and in fact I'm sure if you asked Olive she would probably say they won every game. :)
Olive played in the Leawood league and her team named themselves Pink Penguins. Totally randomly, both Hannah and Olive had the number 4 jersey. I thought that was cool.
Olive as a goalie.
This face.
I didn't get a good picture of her team together. Here they are eating snacks after their last game.
One of the parents photoshopped this so they are in Lunch atop a Skyscraper. Hilarious.
I always think the girls look so grown up in their soccer gear. Olive was super proud to get a soccer trophy just like Hannah's old one.

1 comment:
Hey it is all about FUN!!!
Good going Olive on getting to be Goalie!
Most important field position...love she did it and so well too.
Post a Comment