10.25.2018

Second Grade Update


Olive is loving second grade.  It is so weird that my youngest is now the age I taught.  Time flies!  She has one of Hannah's first grade teachers as her second grade teacher.  There are 18 kids in her class- 10 girls, 8 boys.  She goes to the speech teacher once a week.  She is still working on the /sh/, /th/, /s/, /z/, and /j/ sounds.  She has made amazing progress since kindergarten!  Her favorite special is art and her favorite subject is math.  She is reading above grade level, writing detailed journal entries, and her mental math is especially impressive.  She doesn't like it when she doesn't know something, especially if I'm the one to teach her.  Thank goodness we aren't homeschooling!

Although Olive is a chatterbox at home, she is pretty quiet at school.  She gets her work done and is annoyed at kids who goof off or cause trouble.  She stays away from girls she thinks are "sassy."  She loves to write encouraging notes to her friends and give them little gifts.

I've been trying to get her more involved in extra-curriculars, but Olive prefers to stay at home and play with Hannah. She attends brownie meetings once a month and she did a weekly craft club in the fall.  I'm signing her up for gymnastics this winter.

From her first quarter report card:  Olive has a love for learning that is contagious!  She has so many interesting thoughts to share.  I would like to hear more from her during class discussions.  She has a great attitude each day and enjoys many friendships in our class.

1 comment:

Granny M said...

Looking more and acting older all the time.
Time with your kids goes by fast.