The coolest thing about a professional cycling race is the accessibility of the riders. Before the race the riders are just kicking back in their RV's and probably going over race strategies.. or playing wii or something, I don't really know. But once they come out to get warmed up they're all just right there on the street riding around. Megan got some great pics of "some guy named George" when he came out to sign autographs. Then just as we were walking past the Garmin trailer Dave Zabriskie came out to sign autographs and warm up. I had duct-taped a big Z on my shirt for Dave because he's quirky and talented and on a team I like. Dave had just taken over the lead in the race after the Sedalia time trial (and he ended up winning the Tour overall). Megan gets credit for pushing me up in front of I-don't-know-how-many people that were waiting and I got the duct tape Z autographed. So it was a pretty awesome day for me.
Then we went to Chautauqua at Simpson park. zzzzzz. That sure gets better every year. And Megan and I took a tandem ride around Chilli. We saw the dirt lot where the old high school was located last time we were in town. surreal. The bike ride was pretty awesome - thanks again, grandparents - it's been a long time since Megan and I were able to do that and I miss it.
So yeah, great Saturday. Pics below of Megan (and Lauren) doing stuff meant for kids, the bike mobile, more Megan doing stuff meant for kids, the Garmin RV, and Megan almost knocking Dave off his bike while trying to take his picture.
8 comments:
I'm so glad Lauren was able to catch up with you guys! I wish I could have been there, too. Sounds like it was a sweet time. P.S. Lauren said you took video of the jousting...where is it featured?
Indeed there is some excellently-moderated video. We can pass it along if you're interested. Fair warning - the fight was short on devastating blows to the face and long on just about everything else. Both fighters exited exhausted after several hours of flailing.
Blows to the face was against the rules! We may have been playing on the kid stuff, but we're not savages. And, you can fight next time, it was exhausting!
So Steve you going to have your shirt signing be your new screensaver at work???
Poster of Dave...
Perhaps
The duct tape will definitely be getting framed. We need more classy art around our house.
Hey now! Who ever agreed with you that Columbia was boring?!? I'm insulted! ;)
At least somebody caught that.
Funniest part of the post.
Post a Comment