2.27.2010

Forefoot Running Week 4 (Steve)

I'm on my second (and last) week of 3mi/day. Starting next week I do 4mi/day. My HR average for runs (I've kept the pace the same on the treadmill these past 4 weeks) has come down quite a bit as it always does. My calves are still very tight after I run but it's much improved now compared to when I first started. Before I wanted to stop after 1.5 mi, but now I do the whole run usually without even thinking about the time or distance - which is how it usually is.

Moving to forefoot striking has forced my stride to be much shorter. I now land with my foot almost directly under me. It does still seem quite a bit harder to do though- I can tell I have to work harder to keep up this different stride and keep from hitting my heel first.

Megan just came over and wonders why I'm blogging about this? Good question. I want to record this season since I'm making such a big switch in running mechanics. It's a lot like being a beginning runner all over again. I want to get all of it down just so I have a record of what happened differently than my normal seasons and eventually even get some new race times for comparison. Although I won't be able to get track (800M, Mile) times this year because we'll be on vacation during corporate challenge, I'll at least be able to get a 400M time and it will be interesting to me to see if that changes any. Or if I end up with a ruptured achilles tendon I'd like to be able to point back at a blog post and say "that was when it all started going downhill". fun times.

1 comment:

Taco said...

Bring on the ruptured achilles tendon!