From Steve:
Every year at some point I realize I have a bunch of race commitments that I need to start training for. So sometime between November and March (usually March) I start my build-up.
I normally have a pretty good build-up system... but this year I've had to do things a little differently. I posted about trying to change my stride before the winter. Basically I land on my heel and I need to stop that before it ruins my knees. For the past several years I've been able to "feel" a knee. Nothing hurts. I could just feel my left knee sometime during runs and sometimes after.
I was hoping to run just a tiny bit every day over the winter landing on my forefoot instead of my heel to make this correction happen slowly and gradually to give tendons and bones time to adjust to the different stress. That didn't work. So now I've started up for my season, except instead of starting with 4 miles/day I have to start at 2 miles/day because my calves feel like they'll explode at about 1.5 miles.
So I'm going to post some updates about how it's going now that I've started for real. I think it's a bad sign that I feel the muscle so much. Muscle is relatively easy to train... it's all the other stuff that doesn't adjust fast enough and eventually causes problems.
Also, I'm wondering if I'm going to destroy any semblence of sprint that I ever had because now I'm converting more of my calf muscles to slow twitch fibers. I guess we'll find out during track season when I get to run a 400.
I'm going to assume that a lack of comments to this post means I should keep all running posts to 1 paragraph :) It's very hard for me. You wouldn't believe how much I deleted from this one to cut it down to "reasonable".
2 comments:
Have you went to a sports trainer/physical therapist to ask for an expert opinion on what you should do to keep the use of your knee/feet?
Is that last paragraph some kind of ploy to make people comment just for the sake of commenting? Because it's not going to work.
Post a Comment