5.26.2013

School

I know I'm getting super emotional about quitting.  After all, it's just a job.  But it didn't feel like that for me.  It was a big part of my life.  I've known since about 5th grade that I wanted to be a teacher.  All of my jobs have involved working with kids- babysitting, day camps, etc.  I absolutely fell in love with my first class.  Steve got tired of hearing all the stories about my students.  He still remembers all of their names.  I cried so hard on the last day of school that first year.  They were no longer "mine."  Then I realized I could still watch them grow up.  My little kiddos are now sophomores in high school.  I love it that I was a small part of their childhood.  Now I've been a 2nd grade teacher to 158 kids.
 
I got lucky and taught at a great school.  My teaching partner was like my mom.  She listened to me complain, knew what I did on the weekend, and made me laugh every day.  My principal was amazing.  The parents were super involved.  The students were excited to learn (for the most part).  The other teachers felt like family.  So it is really hard for me to not be a part of that group anymore and to quit something that it is a part of me. 
my classroom
 
my messy desk
 
the view from my desk
 
one of my favorite activities:  African Market
 
After we are finished traveling the world we come back to the USA for a picnic
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Walter said...

Walter's pointless question: Why are you Ms. Kerr on your door and not Mrs. Kerr? The former denotes an unmarried woman or is used when the marital status of the woman is unknown. The later denotes a married woman. Are you back on the market? Just unsure if you really are married or not?

Kerr Family said...

All teachers are Ms. at my school. That way you don't have to remember if it is Miss or Mrs.

Walter said...

All teachers are Ms.? I feel sorry for the guys who teach there.