11.28.2016

Second Grade Update


Hannah is loving 2nd grade!  There are 20 kids in her class- 8 girls and 12 boys.  Her favorite special is PE and her favorite subject is science.  Her least favorite thing is writing in her journal (although I've seen it and she is a great writer.)  Watching her reading progression has been amazing.  In kindergarten she was right on grade level.  By first grade she was one grade level ahead, and now in second grade she is two ahead (4th grade reading level). Our district started a no homework policy for K-5 this year and it is awesome!!  Hannah and I had homework battles last year and now we don't have to worry about it.  Of course I do lots of learning activities with her on my own, but there is no assigned homework.

First grade was a little rough for her.  I think it was a combination of going from half-day to full-day, having two teachers, and not knowing any girls in her class.  Hannah liked school okay last year, but now she LOVES it.  Steve and I have seen a big difference in her enthusiasm and confidence this year and I think it is mostly due to her teacher.  I'm a big believer in the power of a good teacher!  And Hannah's teacher is exactly what she needs: kind, gentle, and encouraging.  From a young age Hannah would get nervous if someone raised their voice (even if it wasn't directed at her).  Nobody wants to be around someone who is angry and yelling.  But some teachers are just naturally loud and "yelly" even when they aren't angry.  Hannah's teacher is the opposite: calm and soft-spoken.  And what's even better is that she loves Hannah.  All teachers like kids who are smart and well behaved, but from parent/teacher conferences we could tell that she really "gets" Hannah and likes her as a person.

Hannah was very proud to be elected to student council by her classmates.  There is one girl and one boy representative per class.  She goes to meetings once a month and then reports back to her class.  She is also doing girl scouts again.  This year there are two meetings a month.  It was really hectic during soccer season when she would have student council, then girl scouts, then soccer practice all on the same night.  I was very thankful for the no homework policy on those nights!

From her first quarter report card:
"Hannah is a joyful girl to have in class.  She has super strong reading, writing, and math skills.  She does well with the various challenge activities given to her as well.  She is kind, on task, friendly, creative, a true friend and a hard worker."

1 comment:

Granny M said...

Good job Hannah!!! Keep up the good work!
So very proud of your effort!