11.10.2014

Mama School

When Hannah started kindergarten I was really looking forward to spending one-on-one time with Olive since I get to do that...just about never.  Hannah had two years as an only child with my undivided attention.  And she still commanded the majority of my attention after Olive was born.  One of the many "pros" of staying home was getting two years with Olive when Hannah was in kindergarten and first grade.

Olive calls our time together "Mama School" and she proudly announces it whenever anyone talks about Hannah going to kindergarten.  Mama School mostly involves doing whatever Olive wants...with whatever literacy and math skills I can sneak in.  She loves playing with blocks so we count them and talk about shapes and even make letters.

One of my main goals of Mama School was to teach her to write her name.  In typical Olive fashion, she completely refused to practice writing letters.  I thought it would be easier if I made her name with dotted lines and she could trace it.  Of course she still said no, but after I left the room she wrote her name all on her own (below the dotted name).  

Her fine motor skills are really developing.  She loves drawing people.  Here is a picture of the family.

a group of ballerinas

Painting is another Mama School activity.  This is my all-time favorite Olive painting.

At first she completely refused any activity that looked too much like actual school, but she is a much more willing student now.  She actually asks to do questions in her preschool workbook, when in August she would start yelling if she even saw it.

In truth, it has been a rough fall.  Olive doesn't like change or transitions...and Hannah going to kindergarten was a BIG one.  It is only three hours a day, but Olive did not like being without her best friend.  She disliked getting ready in the morning, taking Hannah to school each day, going to soccer stuff, and really going just about any where.  She was pretty angry in general and the tantrums were out of control.  We tried several different parenting strategies to deal with her outbursts and finally just tried to eliminate anything that caused a fight.  She screamed about getting her hair brushed in the morning?  We'll cut her hair.  She didn't want to wear a coat?  She can be cold and we'll bring one if she wants it later.  She doesn't want to go to bed at night?  We'll cut out her nap and then she'll be super tired and go right to bed at night.  That one seemed to have the biggest impact.  I never would have thought giving up a nap would improve her mood, but when she gave up naps she was happier.  And when Olive is happier...the whole family is happier!  Especially me.  I am really enjoying our Mama School time now that we are bonding and having fun....instead of having stand-offs over putting on shoes.

No comments: