5.26.2010

My First Class

My first class of 2nd graders are leaving elementary school!  I went to their 6th grade breakfast (it's what my school does instead of graduation) on Friday to deliver their letters.  I had them write letters as 2nd graders to their 6th grade selves.  They wrote about things they didn't want to forget about 2nd grade and made predictions about what they would be like in 6th grade.  They have been in sealed envelopes in my filing cabinet all this time.  Almost all the kids remembered writing the letters and had a huge smile when they opened them.  The 6th grade teachers gave a speech and we watched a photo montage of each 6th grader growing up: baby pics, early elementary, and then 6th grade.  I cried on the very first one.  It was a goofy little boy who used to give me about 3 hugs a day.  Now he looks so grown up.  Sigh.  It goes by so fast!  And these are just my students.  How am I going to feel when it is Hannah as a 6th grader?!?

By the way, I have now taught 2nd grade to 100 kids.  I had 18 students my first year, 18 the second year, 22, 22, and now 20.  That seems like a lot.  I feel old.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Ugh. I am never sad to see my kids go. And I like my job.